Saturday, April 23, 2011

A Speech Longing to be Read by an Arab Leader

My fellow countrymen,

I stand in front of you today for two reasons. The first is simply to apologize to all of you. After much introspection, I have come to realize that my rule has led you to a place few in the world would envy; and I cannot but hold myself ultimately responsible.

And so, I apologize because while I have tried to educate you, I stifled your capacity to think ...
I apologize because while I have tried to develop our nation, I failed to offer you jobs and a future your children could look forward to …
I apologize for leading your children to abandon you for distant lands …
I apologize for providing you the minimum, and then subduing your capacity to provide for yourselves …
I apologize for not controlling the corruption occurring within my regime at our nation’s expense …
I apologize because under my rule, our national treasure has dried up …
I apologize for not allowing you ask for direly needed change.
I apologize because I have committed acts of violence against you and those you love with the false pretense of securing you ...
I apologize for leading you to unjust wars that have left our nation weak and desolate and at the mercy of foreign powers …
I apologize for limiting my vision to my own survival and not that of our beloved country …

For all the above and much more, I apologize …

The second reason I stand in front of you today is to hereby irrevocably declare that the time has come for me to bow down and let you manage your own affairs. I do this realizing fully well the potential risks and uncertainty, but with firm confidence that if you continue to love and respect this country and your fellow countrymen and women, things will turn out just fine.

My countrymen, I shall bid you farewell now and not ask for an undeserved forgiveness.

May God have mercy  on us all and may He always bless our country.

No comments:

Post a Comment